30 Jul WCC: A History of Bringing People Together
Sometimes churches may seem simply physical buildings – a Sunday House of Worship – while other times they are assuredly more. Historically, both in Winnetka and throughout the country, churches have helped create the communities in which they are located. Their efforts have benefited the enjoyment, health and welfare of far more people than just the church members. In our rich WCC history, pastors and members have been “Bringing People Together” for 150 years!
In 1881, the Reverend Samuel Theodore Kidder (WCC, 1880 – 1885) began leading the Winnetka Reading and Social Club, sharing magazines, books and enjoying once a month special events. From this beginning in our church basement came the Winnetka Public Library, which was organized in 1884 – with three of its first six trustees members of WCC as well.
The first 4th of July celebration was organized by Rev. Quincy L. Dowd, (WCC, 1885 – 1901). Some events from that initial celebration, like bands, marchers and foot races, continue today. Others, like horse races and greased pig chases, do not. The ladies of WCC sold ice cream, lemonade and cake. In subsequent years, other churches took over the celebration, before it was eventually turned over to the village to run annually.
The Rev. Dowd, along with non-church member Henry Demarest Lloyd, also conceived and initiated the Winnetka Town Meeting. These Town Meetings started in the basement of WCC in 1890 and were later turned over to the citizens of the community. And this start, as well as the need to discuss village issues and concerns, began the formation of the Winnetka Caucus system of government, that continues today.
1909 brought in Rev. J.W.F. Davies (WCC, 1909 -1931), who became known as “Chief” Davies to the many young people of the church and the community. He was instrumental in the beginnings of a small campsite near Ludington, MI which subsequently evolved into Camp Douglas Smith, and through the years, provided a summer camp experience for hundreds of Winnetka boys and girls.
“Chief” Davies was also the person who listened to the young people of Winnetka as they lamented there really wasn’t enough for them to do outside of school. “Chief” Davies envisioned a “club” for kids; with rooms for plays and get-togethers, perhaps a gymnasium for indoor sports. He persuaded the Church Council to dream big – to build facilities and offices to accommodate future church and community organizations.
Through many fund-raising activities, and the generous gift of land by Mr. and Mrs. Douglas Smith, the Winnetka Community House was dedicated in October, 1911, finally becoming a non-profit entity in 1932. “Chief” Davies and the members of Winnetka Congregational Church more than fulfilled their dream of a meeting place for the various interests of the people of Winnetka!
These are some of the very recognizable accomplishments of WCC throughout its 150-year history, but there are more than can be recounted. We’ve promoted social and civic engagement through speakers, concerts, luncheons, rummage sales, communal meeting spaces and more. For instance, on October 15, 1911, the largest crowd ever gathered to date in our Sanctuary came together to hear Booker T. Washington of the Tuskegee Institute. How might WCC attract the community and set this century’s attendance record?
Winnetka Congregational Church started this year with Pastor Jeffrey Phillips‘s remarks that WCC has a history of getting people together “around common tables.” We certainly do; this is our history……and our future….to the benefit of WCC, the Village of Winnetka and beyond.
